Author Topic: Using Socks5 with Skype  (Read 3550 times)

abaco2011

• View Profile
Using Socks5 with Skype
« on: January 23, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »
I was searching for help with using Socks5 with Skype as I found a post on the Skype forum stating they could not use Skype with socks5 on the newest version of Skype.   I'm only calling a few regular cell phone contacts at present.  I'm paying for Skype at .02 a minute and am mainly interested in not being traced to my IP address or GEO location.  I don't care about costs or Skype but I believe VOIP with a proxy or a VPN (or both) is the most secure for my needs.

What other VOIP for use with proxies can anyone recommend  ?

Note that I am very new to VPN's and proxies and have never needed them until now.  Most of what I read is over my head and I'm just getting a grasp on VPN's and proxies.  I'm not even positive that I should group VPN's and proxies in the same sentence but they both seem to help in cloaking a given GEO location which is my main goal.   I don't have firewalls I'm trying to work around.

Do you know how to test if Skype or what ever other VOIP you may suggest is actually getting tunneled through the proxy or the VPN ?     Since I'm not blocked by any firewall or administrator or any such thing then Skype will connect for me even it's not getting routed through the proxy or the VPN.   I THINK all traffic is going through the VPN but there doesn't seem to be any way to confirm.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Using Socks5 with Skype
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:25:46 PM »
You can simply believe that Skype uses the socks5 proxy that you set:
http://www.socksproxychecker.com/socks5.html#skype

You can use Wireshark to trace the traffic of Skype. But it may be too complicated for you.
Elite Proxy Switcher - Easily testing and using proxies.
Socks Proxy Checker - To be your chief socks proxy checker.
Buy Proxy - Buy checked proxies from My-Proxy easily and quickly.

anything