Author Topic: SSL but non-open proxy question  (Read 2997 times)

anonymister

• View Profile
SSL but non-open proxy question
« on: April 18, 2013, 02:21:33 PM »
My wife and I are both avid editors on Wikipedia.  We both work from home, so we both share an IP address.  This is becoming a problem, because we're both editing a group of related wikis, and things can get contentious there.  Since we mostly agree on the subjects we're editing (and discussing on the "talk" pages), this could be a serious problem, because if someone suspects that it's really just one person using a sock puppet, they can ask WP to use something called CheckUser, which searches for multiple editor accounts at the same IP address.  If they discover that's the case, they can delete all of those users' accounts; obviously, something we want to avoid.

I've tried using so-called "secure" on-line free proxies (like UtopianPal.com), but although some of them allow me to log-in, every one of them has caused WP to block it from editing, since WP uses something that detects open proxies.  It generates this message:

"You are currently unable to edit Wikipedia.  Editing from your IP address (XX.XX.XX.XX) has been blocked (disabled) on all Wikimedia wikis...for the following reason: Open proxy...You are currently unable to edit Wikipedia."

I'm not terribly knowledgeable about the technology involved here, but I'm hoping that someone can advise me on what I need to be able to log in and edit on WP without it detecting that I'm using a proxy, and blocking it.  Naturally, I'd prefer freeware.  We both use Firefox 13 on Windows machines (XP and Vista).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SSL but non-open proxy question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:58:36 PM »
You can try our proxy software: http://myiphide.com/ It supports SSL and it's non-open proxy.
Elite Proxy Switcher - Easily testing and using proxies.
Socks Proxy Checker - To be your chief socks proxy checker.
Buy Proxy - Buy checked proxies from My-Proxy easily and quickly.

anonymister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:11:21 AM »
You can try our proxy software: http://myiphide.com/ It supports SSL and it's non-open proxy.

OK, if I decide to go with shareware, I'll give it a try.

Now, how about freeware options?  Anyone?

dwaynnyt

• Post Rank: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:28:51 AM »
I doubt it, it will be for a few days. Mostly, everything now must be paid.

jack0050271

• Post Rank: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 02:59:34 AM »
ssl proxy is quite secure to do online transation.

anything