Author Topic: Question about proxies, specific case  (Read 4268 times)

Dave101

• View Profile
Question about proxies, specific case
« on: May 28, 2012, 10:20:16 PM »
This is what I am attempting to accomplish. A particular website has banned Sprint because a few people using Sprint were abusing the site. When I am away from home I used to connect via my cell(Sprint), and PdaNet to my laptop. Now I am unable to, but have been given permission to circumvent the ban by the websites admin if I am able. What I would like to do is aim a telnet connection at my home computer, have my home computer connect to said website via telnet, and relay back and forth to my laptop. I'd like it to, for all intents and purposes, appear as if my home computer is the one accessing this site via telnet and not my laptop. I use Comcast at home. If I am understanding proxies then installing a proxy is what I have to do. Am I on the right track and where should I start?

Dave101

• View Profile
Re: Question about poxies, specific case
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 10:24:29 PM »
One more note: the connection doesn't have to be secure. No private/secret data will be transferred over the connection.

Hobbyist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:06:38 PM »
Hi Dave,

I think you are a bit off base with using "telnet". That protocol is very limited and not going to pass http traffic like you describe.

You are exactly right about the possibility of using a proxy though and, as luck would have it, I just finished a detailed video tutorial on what you want to do to get one working on your home machine. It may seem a daunting task (the tutorial is just over an hour long) but as far as I know there really isn't a much easier way (unless you are willing to use someone elses proxy instead of setting up your own).

The post is "Running you own proxy server" located right below your post here last time I looked. If you need an invite to demonoid to access the torrent for Wingate 6.2 (see a minute or two into Part 1) let me know by PM and I'll set you up.

HTH
If #2 pencils are so popular, why are they still #2?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 07:46:53 PM »
Hi Dave,

You can setup a proxy on your home computer. Here is a video tutorial by Hobbyist: http://forum.my-proxy.com/running-your-own-proxy-server-video-tutorial-15186.0.html

But it may be too complex if you are not an technician. You may consider using existing proxies: http://forum.my-proxy.com/how-set-proxy-your-browser-2572.0.html

Terry
Elite Proxy Switcher - Easily testing and using proxies.
Socks Proxy Checker - To be your chief socks proxy checker.
Buy Proxy - Buy checked proxies from My-Proxy easily and quickly.

Dave101

• View Profile
Re: Question about proxies, specific case
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 04:24:55 PM »
Oh, no, I think you misunderstand. It isn't an actual website I'll be accessing. It is a game you play via telnet. All I need is a telnet connection. But if the proxy will do that, it'll work just fine.

Hobbyist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 07:23:54 PM »
Wingate 6.2 includes support for a telnet proxy (along with ftp, socks, pop3, smtp, etc). To modify the tutorial substiute the router port forwarding and firewall rule stuff to handle port 23 (TCP) instead of 8080 described for the http proxy.

If #2 pencils are so popular, why are they still #2?

gavind

• Post Rank: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 12:25:11 PM »
Good point. So were you able to set this all up Dave101?
If all else fail, use brute force.

Metheny123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 06:18:18 AM »
Hello.you can buy telnet proxy but keep one thing in mind that these are the limited and provide a bidirectional interactive text-oriented communication.For installation of ip you need to knowledgeable and experience person.

anything