Author Topic: Proxy to Bypass packet shaper  (Read 4976 times)

robxmccarthy

• View Profile
Proxy to Bypass packet shaper
« on: January 18, 2007, 08:39:09 PM »
Hi,

First and foremost, allow me to excuse myself for my ignorance of advanced proxy knowledge.

Secondly, here's my question:  I'm a college student living in the campus dorms.  Unfortunately these dorms are plagued by terrible internet.  Don't get me wrong; we're on a university backbone capable of providing literally the fastest connection in the world.  Unfortunately our upload and downloads are heavily altered by a packet shaper.  We are connected through several dorm hubs to the main firewalled system.  There is no shaping on the hubs and we have 100G network throughout the campus (no limitation yet).   Then all of the campus internet access is fed through a packet shaper which allocates certain amounts of the network to certain applications, or packet types.  Internet movies like youtube, google video, daily motion, etc get 10%.  Videogames get 25%.  Http/Ftp gets 50%.  P2P gets another 10%.  And 5% is allocated for everything unknown.  This basically means that if you're trying to use a P2P app, you won't be able to.  HTTP access however, is extremely wide open.   I am also well acquainted with the network administrator who showed me the distribution at which point I noted that the 5% was almost entirely unused as well.

Now the problem: all of this shaping slows down our access terribly.  Http/ftp downloads are extremely fast if you use a program like flashget. But P2P is basically useless (1k download speeds  5k tops).

My question is:  Is there any way to use the proxy's on this site to bypass any of this packet shaping, or perhaps at least allow p2p programs to work at all.   I've heard of tunneling and whatnot, is there any way that this can be applied?

The problem:  From our dorms we can't "ping" any external servers directly.  We can only ping up to the first main hub.  However, I could get the information on all of the stops if needed for tunneling.

Thank you very much for any information that you can provide.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Proxy to Bypass packet shaper
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 10:02:50 PM »
Your bandwidth is limited by the type of application you are using. The HTTP and FTP applications get the most bandwidth.

Unless you could make the packet shaper think you are use HTTP app while you are actually using others (such as P2P, RSTP), you can get more bandwidth.

But that is usually impossible just as you can not use a HTTP proxy in your P2P or video app.
Elite Proxy Switcher - Easily testing and using proxies.
Socks Proxy Checker - To be your chief socks proxy checker.
Buy Proxy - Buy checked proxies from My-Proxy easily and quickly.

robxmccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:48:14 PM »
Ok, so in other words, not possible.

What about being able to ping outside of the network. Is this do-able with proxies?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 08:54:14 AM »
You can use this site to ping:
Code: [Select]
http://just-ping.com/
Elite Proxy Switcher - Easily testing and using proxies.
Socks Proxy Checker - To be your chief socks proxy checker.
Buy Proxy - Buy checked proxies from My-Proxy easily and quickly.

anything
anything