Author Topic: Novice user, basic queries  (Read 1609 times)

terrypin

• View Profile
Novice user, basic queries
« on: April 22, 2014, 11:37:30 AM »
Hi,

First post, from a novice user.

I have no technical know-how on proxies. But I was desperate to view a TV episode I'd missed while on holiday last week. The various USA sites I tried blocked it because I'm in the UK. On asking in a newsgroup someone recommended I should 'use a proxy'. So I installed this handy Firefox add-on earlier today and used a 'Just Checked' page to get some USA proxies.

It took me many attempts but I'm pleased to say that I eventually entered a winning combination 'proxy' in Firefox that allowed me to view the episode (Mad Men S07E01), namely 192.3.25.99

But with the immediate task accomplished I would now like to understand some points that have me baffled please.

1. When I entered the proxy, I also entered the same numbers in the SOCKS box, whatever that is. Is that correct? If so, why is a separate box needed?

2. Does EPS set the SOCKs version (4 or 5) automatically? If not, how do I know which to set manually?

3. Some of the notes and screenshots seem to show a list of proxies within EPS itself. Or perhaps that's only the desktop version? What is the best way of getting a list of USA proxies in case the one that worked today fails on some future occasion?

4. Do I just have to try these USA proxies one by one until I find one that works?

Any help would be appreciated please.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Novice user, basic queries
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »
You can find some USA proxies here: http://www.us-proxy.org

However I recommend our new product: http://myiphide.com
It can help you to view the TV episode on USA sites.
Elite Proxy Switcher - Easily testing and using proxies.
Socks Proxy Checker - To be your chief socks proxy checker.
Buy Proxy - Buy checked proxies from My-Proxy easily and quickly.

anything