Author Topic: Configure Skype with socks5 settings  (Read 5177 times)

abaco2011

• View Profile
Configure Skype with socks5 settings
« on: January 23, 2011, 10:55:33 AM »
This is the best information I've found for a novice (such as myself) in the area of privacy.    The tutorial is great.  I'm still trying to nail down using Socks5 with Skype and how to confirm if the proxy settings (input in Sype's "Advanced" settings) are working.   The calls seem to go through either way.   I'm not being a firewall or college that is blocking me.   My Skype works either way so I'm trying to figure out two things.

1)   As relates to configuring Skype, does EPS have a list of Socks5 or is there a place I could/should need to go pay for one.  I don't mind paying for one if it's a "you get what you pay for" type of thing that will be more reliable and / or anonymous.   I got a referral to  5socks.net  to pay for one but would welcome other referrals.  I'll try to decide today and work on getting this configured. 

2)  After configuring Skype with Proxy5 settings, is there a way to test or know if those settings are working ?   Currently I don't call other Skype users, just regular or cell phones but I know someone I CAN call on their computer with Skype if that would somehow help test (don't know if the computer to computer call will allow capture of the IP address). 

Additionally, I'm testing two VPN's.   A software VPN that I start up and connect with and another VPN I'm testing is configured through my computers "Network Connections".   I don't know the proper term for each type of VPN but would like to know to simplify explanation in the future.

Thanks in advance. 

abaco2011

• View Profile
Configure Skype with socks5 settings
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:39:58 AM »
Follow up to above.  I poked around and see that a list of proxy's is also available from Elite Proxy Server software as an added fee and I'm guessing the support if I have a question is better than the 5Socks.net which is based off shore and instructions not quite as crisp and clear.   5socks.net also has a program like EPS but it only talks about configuring it with IE and I'd rather use Firefox.

I'm still sorting out if Socks5 servers are included with the list from EPS

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Configure Skype with Proxy5 settings
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:36:27 PM »
Please use Socks Proxy Checker to use socks proxy instead of Elite Proxy Switcher which is for http proxy.

You can buy our socks proxy here:
http://www.socksproxychecker.com/buysocks5proxy.html

You can simply believe that Skype uses the socks5 proxy that you set:
http://www.socksproxychecker.com/socks5.html#skype

You can use Wireshark to trace the traffic of Skype. But it may be too complicated for you.
Elite Proxy Switcher - Easily testing and using proxies.
Socks Proxy Checker - To be your chief socks proxy checker.
Buy Proxy - Buy checked proxies from My-Proxy easily and quickly.

abaco2011

• View Profile
Re: Configure Skype with socks5 settings
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 01:32:58 PM »
Terry-  Thank you.

I've seen a post on the Skype forum that says Socks5 wasn't working for the guy on the newest version of Skype but I think I'm hidden by virtue of the personal VPN I'm subscribed to.   Kind of hard to nail this down.

You were correct about Wireshark.  I watched some of the video tutorials they have and it was all over my head.

As you said, I could just go ahead and plug it in and hope it is giving me another layer.    I want to go ahead and subscribe to the list.  Can I input Socks5 settings into Firefox without issues ?  I looked at the Advanced settings and it does have an option for it there.  If I buy the $10 or $20 a month subscription of proxy lists will it give me a variety of different types of proxies ?     Sorry to be a newbie on this topic.  I have searched for novice reading on this topic and it's harder to come by than you would think.   Maybe I should Google  "proxies for dummies".   

Thanks.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 07:32:07 PM »
1) Please make sure what you bought is SOCKS proxy, not ordinary proxy.
2) Please test the socks proxies in Socks Proxy Checker.
3) Input the working Socks5 proxy into skype.

abaco2011

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 01:59:36 PM »
Terry-    I'm about ready and probably will (by the time you answer this) buy the socks list and download the utility.   I would be willing to pay for a fixed proxy address to keep from having to input the settings but I'm not sure if that is even available to buy (from you guys or anyone else).   

Do I understand that your utility will auto update FFox or IE but I would need to manually configure Skype every day. 

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 08:35:03 PM »
If you use the "Automatic proxy detection" option of Skype, it will use the IE Proxy setting. Thus Socks Proxy Checker can change its proxy.

Please use Skype 5.1 or above.

anything