Author Topic: Can anyone track you with a proxy?  (Read 3224 times)

Gifted1

• View Profile
Can anyone track you with a proxy?
« on: January 21, 2007, 09:54:51 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm new here. I found this forum doing a google search for proxy forums. I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

Anyway, I know how to use proxies and everything but I'm just curious if you use an anonymous proxy and then post on something like a message board, is there a way that someone can take the IP address that you are posting from and somehow extract your real IP address from that? Is it possible for someone to know who you are even if you use an anonymous proxy? I'm just curious. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone track you with a proxy?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 05:51:34 AM »
If you are using an anonymous proxy, the webmaster can't know your real IP address.

You can test whether you are using an anonymous proxy here:
http://ip.my-proxy.com
Elite Proxy Switcher - Easily testing and using proxies.
Socks Proxy Checker - To be your chief socks proxy checker.
Buy Proxy - Buy checked proxies from My-Proxy easily and quickly.

Gifted1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 08:02:30 PM »
Thank you.

katmando

• Post Rank: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 07:32:43 AM »
If you are using an anonymous proxy, the webmaster can't know your real IP address.

That isn't really true at all Terry and I am surprised you either don't know this or would post something so misleading.

First of all, using an anonymous proxy is only half the battle.  If you haven't turned things off and depending on which browser is being used, and if you use the email provided by your ISP and have your data (name & email addy in it) and tested the so-called anonymous proxy and your set up against a reliable proxyjudge, then you could be using an anon proxy and still not be anonymous.

And, what he is really asking, and has now asked this question in at least two of his posts, is whether or not he can be traced ... and the real answer is "yes" almost always.
I tell it like it is and that's offensive to those professing knowledge they don't have.

anything
anything